1. Welcome to Chandoo.org Forums. Short message for you

Hi Guest,

Thanks for joining Chandoo.org forums. We are here to make you awesome in Excel. Before you post your first question, please read this short introduction guide. When posting or responding to questions please remember our values at Chandoo.org are: Humility, Passion, Fun, Awesomeness, Simplicity, Sharing Remember that we have people here for whom English is not there first language and we need to allow for this in our dealings.

Yours,
    Chandoo
  2. Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

3. When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Visualizing Years, Companies & 4 financial variables in a single chart

Discussion in 'Discuss Data Visualizations and Charting' started by Kaushik Joshi, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Kaushik Joshi

Kaushik Joshi Member

Hello all,

Need to quickly visualise 3 variables ( Company, years, Financials) in a single stacked bar chart.
    Can some one help.

regards,
    kaushik

Attached Files:

• Q.xlsx
      File size:
      10.4 KB
      Views:
  2. chirayu

chirayu Well-Known Member

I don't understand. You want everything in 1 chart? That'll make it overcrowded.
  3. chirayu

chirayu Well-Known Member

Wasn't sure what you wanted. Here's a few sample charts

Attached Files:

• Q.xlsx
      File size:
      19.9 KB
      Views:
  4. Kaushik Joshi

Kaushik Joshi Member

hi,
    i too thought it would look overcrowded, but someone from my office was insisting hence posted here. Solution I offered was somewhat similar to yours but through Pivot charts and slicers. Thought yours is much a great example of structured usage of Vlook up and match ! None of these straightforward approaches clearly indicate how financials are inter-related ....ie. 1) percentages of financials within a specific company for the given number of years and 2) how trends in (1) compare to peers... Guy who threw this at me is a CA and is looking for some number crunching and in a consolidated single graph. He was looking for a stacked charts to bring out relationships. Thanks anyway for your efforts and reply.
  5. r1c1

r1c1 Administrator Staff Member

You can try a panel chart to explore such inter-relationships.

I have used absolute values, but you can also try with indexation. That can show sharp changes compared to initial values in 2011

Both pictures embedded below.

Absolute values trend:
    SNAG-0074.png

Indexed values trend:
    SNAG-0075.png

Attached Files:

Hemantsd and Kaushik Joshi like this.
  6. Gregor

Gregor New Member

Hi,

Not sure if I have misunderstood your original post but see attached?

Show a stacked chart for the variables, by year, by company???

Data is the same just reorganised via pivot table.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    Hemantsd and Kaushik Joshi like this.
  7. Kaushik Joshi

Kaushik Joshi Member

Thank You Gregor! Yes, Stacked Bar Chart was the original requirement. Your Pivot Graph helps!
    Also thank you R1C1 Admin Chandoo Team - Those Panel charts are really cool and am happy to learn a new approach. :)