• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Windows 7 (and 8?) process dllhost.exe high resources usage

Your next system run under...

• Linux

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OS

• CPM

• Total voters

SirJB7

Excel Rōnin
Hi, all!

If someone running Windows 7 either in 32 or 64 bits (and I assume that for Win 8 it'd be the same) is experiencing severe slowness due to the process ddlhost.exe, a less than 10Kb program, that starts each second eager and eager, sucking all RAM until no matter how many Gb you have and CPU usage (in fact, of a single core, i.e. 100% if processor has 1 core, 50% for 2 cores, 25% for 4 for cores, 13% for 8 cores), maybe it's worth to give a look at this:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...4ad9-a4dd-453ebac28b22?rtAction=1391499695288

It's an issue regarding the Windows update KB2670838 that was a prerequisite for IE10 and later. In fact it's a memory bug that leaks all the available memory until the system crashes after being unbearably slow and raises the BSOD (blue screen of death).

It's about the thumbnail cache regarding .mp4 3D files, 2D don't have the problem; if the process is analyzed with the procexp.exe from Sysinternals the problematic .dll is thumbcache.dll. It seems to be an inability of creating the proper thumbnail for those files.

There are lot of suggestions all around, ranging from installing codec drivers for ffdshow and .mp4 and a lot more... to adding an DEP exception (data execution prevention) from Control Panel, Advanced System Configuration for the Windows\System32 in x86 systems (Windows\SysWOW64) dllhost.exe file, passing by printer drivers and strange and unrelated things, but actually none of them neither work nor does it permanently.

I tried it, it works, and now all the machines are running smoothly as before. Once more for Redmond guys.

If anyone has doubts or anything related, please post them here.

Regards!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info SirJB7, I had notived my machine running slower than usual.

Back