• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Xml Error-Can’t Open-Corrupt or Format not Supported

yknot

What I describe here is in the attached file of screen shots. Every time I open my Excel file, I get a dialog that sorry… couldn’t open.. possibly corrupt or unsupported format. I click Yes to open anyway and get a dialog .. do you want us to try to recover? I click Yes and get .. was able to open by repairing or removing unreadable content.. with a log to view. The same tmp xlm error is generated each time and goes to AppData. I don’t understand the log that is generated. After opening, I have to save as once and then can make all the changes I want in that session with a simple save. Next time I open the file, the same sequence happens.

I am posting this request for advice into the VBA forum only because I believe the problem has something to do with xlm and the tiny little recorded macros I have used. Please let me know if I should move the post. My search of the forums showed nothing related to xlm (hopefully not a faulty search).

I have no experience with xlm and the only macros I use are recorded ones for cursor movements, table sorting, and other simple actions. Although they are simple, they are important to have for user purposes and I want to add more complex ones.

I have not uploaded the Excel file because I don’t believe I can anonymize it without breaking its function.

I have uploaded a series of screen shots to show what happens.

The .xlsm file is used for daily/weekly prioritizing and tracking of actions. It consists of several tabs used for lookup values (manually entered), a data table tab (manually entered with some formulas), a tab with a couple of pivot tables using the data table as a source, and a series of identically structured weekly tabs drawing much of the row data from the pivot tables into dependent drop downs cells.

I am using Excel 2016.

I initially had the file as xlsx and I had it functioning fairly well. When I added the simple macros, I changed it to xlsm. Then almost immediately the issue began.

I have read quite a bit, but unfortunately with my background I can’t seem to see the forest for the trees. There is another xlm error I get, although I’m not sure when it gets triggered or if it is related. I will occasionally get a dialog box that says… Custom UI Runtime Error in Microsoft Power BI Publisher for Excel. I have unchecked the Publisher add-in, but it does not appear to have an effect on my main issue.

I have been able to eliminate/fix the problem by tediously copying the content of each tab (not the tabs themselves) into a clean file. The file then functions fine until I duplicate the weekly tab for use in another week. However, it does not go back to functioning when I delete the added tab. I can’t imagine doing this every week for 52 weeks and remaining sane.

My apologies again for not uploading the Excel file. Hopefully I have provided enough information to give clues to what’s causing the issue. I would greatly appreciate any guidance, suggestions, or pointing to other research I could go to.

My availability for response: I am in US Central time zone. I am not able to check the forum Mon-Thur during daylight hours. However, I will do my best to check and respond evenings all week and Fri-Sun all day.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Excel xml Error-Corrupt Data When Open File.pdf
    953.9 KB · Views: 5
Back